Give us a call or fill out the contact form so we can relieve you of the stress of going to court on your own. Let my law firm represent you!
Call (678) 895-6039
Did You Get Caught Unlawfully Passing Of A School Bus In Georgia?
Hiring an experienced lawyer in dealing with unlawful passing of a school bus ticket can save you money and keep your driving record clean. We offer free consultations and flat fee representation.
We will treat your case with the care, attention and diligence it deserves.
Please call (678) 895-6039 today for a free, no obligation consultation with an experienced Georgia unlawful passing of a school bus ticket attorney. This ticket is fairly serious, so it is good idea to have a qualified attorney represent you. We welcome the chance to speak to you about your case and fight for you.
Unlawfully Passing a School Bus
Georgia Code 40-6-163 is the applicable law regarding the duties of a driver with regard to meeting or overtaking a school bus. Since the safety of children is involved, which is a pretty strong public policy, police officers strictly enforce these school bus laws. The penalty for violating this law is harsher than many other garden variety traffic laws. In fact, it is the same amount of points as aggressive driving or speeding 35 mph over the limit. In other words, you are looking at 6 points on your driving record and usually a higher fine than average.
Generally speaking, if you see a school bus stopped with its lights on (they are usually flashing red lights in the back and front of the bus) and its stop sign out, you must stop your vehicle. The bus driver is basically indicating that there is active loading or unloading of children occurring. You cannot drive by the bus, no matter how safe you think that would be. You must stop and wait for the bus to disengage the stop sign and turn off its lights.
With that said, there is an exception that you should be aware of. If there is a median or divider that makes it such that the school bus is technically on a different road, then you do not need to stop. Picture a situation where you a traveling eastbound and a school bus that is traveling westbound is stopped, but there is also a physical divider or median in between the two lanes, or the road is deemed a controlled-access highway, then you could continue along because technically the school bus is on a different road.
It is always a good idea to be extra cautious around school buses. If you see that a bus has its lights on and its stop sign engaged, just stop and wait. If in any given circumstance you are not sure whether you can pass the school bus, just play it safe and wait.
- A misdemeanor criminal offense on your record;
- 6 points on your driving record;
- A maximum fine of $1,000. The fine will vary depending on the jurisdiction, the facts of your case and your driving record.
- Increased insurance premiums for several years; and
- A license suspension if you are over the point threshold
Having a skilled and experienced Georgia Unlawfully Passing a School Bus Ticket Attorney on your case will help you achieve a better result.
- We help keep your driving record clean. We have successfully handled many Unlawfully Passing a School Bus tickets since 2008. We can negotiate with the prosecutor to amend your citation to a reduced or non-reporting violation. This will keep it off your driving record and save you the 6 points associated with the violation. In other instances, we may be able to identify defenses, mitigating circumstances or technical/procedural mistakes made by the citing officer, which could result in a dismissal of your charge.
- We can save you money. If you simply pay your Unlawfully Passing a School Bus ticket and it goes on your record, your insurance company will definitely frown upon this and use it against you by increasing your insurance premiums. Most likely, they will increase your premiums by thousands over dollars for several years because they will deem you a riskier driver, one that passes school buses and puts children in danger. By keeping the ticket off your record, we will save you more money in the long run.
List Of Citations
Other Searches Related To Unlawful Passing Of A School Bus Citation:
- We can save you time: Whenever it is possible, we handle your case without you having to appear in court to face the prosecutor and judge. However, depending on the court and the facts of your case, your appearance may necessary or beneficial; in that event, we can still save you time because due to procedural rules, courts typically hear attorney represented cases before hearing non-represented cases, thereby drastically decreasing the amount of time you spend in court.
- We offer clear flat fee representation so you are never surprised by the legal fees we charge.
- We are easy to get in touch with and pride ourselves on promptly returning phone calls and emails.
We have handled thousands of tickets all over Georgia and have a strong record of success since 2008. We welcome you to call us today at (678) 895-6039 to speak to a Georgia unlawful passing of a school bus ticket attorney.
Call us today at (678) 895-6039 or email email@example.com
Whether it is a speeding ticket, reckless driving, DUI or an illegal lane change that you have been ticket for we can help!
The Anand Law Firm, LLC
11555 Medlock Bridge Road
Johns Creek, GA 30097
Office: (678) 895-6039